Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Prez & his speech

Just got done "speed reading" through the speech the Prez gave the rug rats today. Let me just say in theory he probably means well. My theory however is leave my kids the hell alone Prez. You can be successful with minimal education. You can be very successful. I am not by any means promoting kids to drop out of school but you can STILL be a successful person. It might take you a little longer but you can do it. I have a high school diploma. That's it! My brother has a high school diploma-that's it. My sister- well she married money but has a high school diploma. My Dad dropped out of school in 8th grade I believe. ALL of these people VERY successful. My Dad owned his own construction company, my brother owns his own restaurant for over 20 years and me-well I have done a lot of things but I am good at them regardless. Sure, if I had a college degree I probably would make more money and certainly would be more qualified to be an MD. But, the thing is most graduates don't even use the degree's they receive. They go off and do something else. Does that degree help them achieve success? Nope! They do it though hard work. My opinion of course. If I was not so damn lazy I would go back to college. But, that would be my choice.

So back to the Prez's speech. He says you should respect your teachers, do your homework, etc. I did not see one mention in this speech about respecting your PARENTS! I could have missed it in the fine print. But, I sure didn't anything mentioned about listening and or respecting your parents.

Kids have so much pressure on them to succeed as it is. We as a society have made that pressure mount. All these F-ing gifted programs. Aren't all kids GIFTED?! And who is the one to determine they are gifted? The teacher, the state in which we live in? Don't get me started. When I was growing up they didn't have this gifted crap. We just went to school, smoked candy cigarettes, played hide & seek until the street lights came on, had dinner at home at the table with the fam, and had FUN! OUTSIDE! When it rained we had FUN inside. No Chucky Cheese, no scheduled playdates. Really?! Our Mom's drank coffee and sat at the kitchen table talking about this and that. While us kids played. AND we did as we were told. I am not saying those above mentioned things are not fun or good for our kids but even that gets overwhelming. At least to me. But, then I am 43 and I don't have time for a lot of crap. HA! Maybe if I stayed in school I would have a higher crap tolerance. I doubt it.

So, let me close by saying. Love your kids! Spend time with them, talk to them, not at them, teach them to respect EVERYONE, let them see you have a glass of wine or two, let them see you cry, let them shake their booties to the beat of whatever music they like, give them chores to do, let them stay out until sun goes down. No street lights out here in the Country. But as the song says "Let them be Little." It all works out in the end.

P.

4 comments:

  1. *giving you a standing ovation*

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, thanks! I am glad I can at the least entertain you and you listen to me. Bonus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did not watch it..never knew he was on.. I have temporary hearing loss and vision loss when he is on TV...

    well said P;) I say Patti for President:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, and just like Dad, I was on the 10 year plan to get my Bachelor's...I still think it was a colossal waste of money, since everything useful, I learned from actually working!

    ReplyDelete

My Playlist

center>


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

Followers

My photo
Yorktown, Indiana, United States